Saturday, August 8, 2009

Misadventure


It was an absolutely beautiful day as I stopped for this shot at Cape Mendocino.

Yesterday I thought I'd try a trip to California's 'Lost Coast'. Without adequate research I headed off to Ferndale then West to Petrolia. Here I drove from Cape Mendocino aways south along incredibly desolate black sand beaches. No pullouts to speak of and definitely NO recreation points. I was a bit disappointed as I had intended to spend the day there.

As I drove through Petrolia I stopped for some fresh blackberries along the road and took pics of the Catholic Church on a rise above Mattole Road.

Glanced at the historic Mattole School and the historic Mattole Grange as I passed by and noted the unmarked right turn onto Lighthouse Road. I drove on, tired and hungry and uninterested by now in further exploration.

It was a LONG drive back through Honeydew to 101. I noted the Briceland Rd. turnoff and wondered where it might lead but my quest was getting tiresome and I kept driving on through the Redwoods and some excellent giant trees. Once I was back on 101 I took a sidetrip on Avenue of the Giants and stopped at Redcrest for a late lunch. The Eternal Tree Cafe didn't offer much in the way of healthful options. I ordered the Grilled Ham and Cheese with fries. It messed up my blood sugar and did not sit well with me.

Finally home by 5 p.m. I more or less skipped dinner, opting instead for some Cottage Cheese around 7 p.m.

Will I go back???

Probably and possibly, but most likely it will be to Shelter Cove at the south end of the 'lost coast' and inland through Briceland. There are plenty of beaches nearby to explore first.

No comments:

Post a Comment