Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pea Gravel and Other Landscaping Ideas

Yesterday Wes Green Landscaping delivered 2 tons of Pea Gravel and dropped it in my driveway. I was able to move about 50 2-gallon buckets of it into the front yard with minimal effort. This is a snapshot of how I left it yesterday.When complete the stepping stones will be nestled into the pea gravel and provide some stable footing. As you can see even the doggie footsteps are visible in the thick gravel.

Today I will use Sandy's Garden Cart to move the bulk of it inside the fence. This is probably the most economical way to deal with the drainage problems of the front yard while putting in a Xerascape.

For plants I can have containers, including a Wine Barrel with a Meyer Lemon and a well pruned fruit tree. The Tea Rose and the Hummingbird Plant seem to be doing alright but need daily supervision. The left side of the yard will be the wet area with Forest and shade loving favorites like ferns, Azalea and Rhododendrons all planted in the ground and lovingly tended by yours truly. I haven't made any decisions about the morning glories. They are beautiful while blooming but a bother most of the time. For the time being the Tulip Bulbs will go into containers to pop into the ground when they start blooming in the spring.

Hauled an additional 5 carts of gravel into the front yard and roughly spread it. Then I drove to Ace in McKinleyville for a Garden Rake to more or less level out what is there. It's 70 at 1:30 p.m. and I might just do some EASY gardening now. I have a Weed Eater that would make short work of the weeds out there. I'm thinking some clean up of the green stuff is in order. There are also some cardboard boxes to flatten and recycle. I can keep busy in the yard without working up a sweat.

While at Ace I priced 12" round stepping stones in Terra Cotta to alternate with the aggregate stones that were here. I think that would dress up the pathway a bit. This will all come together over time to make for a comfortable, clean, environmentally stable landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment