Friday, September 18, 2009

Tight Economic Times


Rather than increase the debt balance in this household I am holding to a 'pay as you go' plan for home improvement. What that means exactly is that I prioritize and delay needed repairs and maintenance until I can 'comfortably' afford to pay the plumber, electrician and/or handyman out of current monthly income.

In September I'm coming down to the wire after having paid to have my frontyard prepared to deal with potential winter drainage problems. Cory, my friend and hard working handyman, has moved about 3" of river silt from the front yard into the back yard where it will be mixed with brown and green matter to create a topsoil suited for planting an English Garden of sorts. If he sticks around long enough he will be my assistant in putting pavers in the front yard so that I don't have to wade Lake VW to get from the car to the front door. That looks as if it will be a piecemeal job at best. I have developed my 'Design Intent' but it will take time and money to actually create the environmentally friendly landscape I desire. Formal, yet NOT, and temporary in the sense it can all be replaced by a yard which is more traditional if the necessity arises.

As for the inside stuff: the bathrooms work to my satisfaction except for replacement of the basins (requiring another visit from the plumber) and the vent/fans which need to be done by a professional. The one bathroom light needing replacement can be done when I'm ready to shut off the power for awhile and take care of the dimmer switch replacement as well.

Outside, the siding will need replacing ASAP. Not something I can approach lightly. For now the Window Replacement will just have to wait or be done on a piecemeal basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment